GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

The “Perfect Wall” for Conversion Van in Warm/Humid Weather

sydney_jamila | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

After thinking about the “Perfect Wall” for an upcoming Van Conversion project, my goal is to use non-toxic, organic and sustainable materials. The base of the van is metal. As for layers I’ve considered the following starting from metal (inner layer) to floor (outer layer).

1. Lizard Skin Sound Control (Sound/Radiant Barrier)
2. Lizard Ceramic Insulation and/or PermaLoft Wool (Insulation)
3. Recycled Polyethylene (Moisture Barrier)
4. Cork (Additional Sound Barrier to deafen outside noise)
5. Plywood (Flooring)

I’ve also considered the following as well:

1. Lizard Skin Sound Control (Sound/Radiant Barrier)
2. EcoFoil (Radiant Barrier)
3. Recycled Polyethylene (Moisture Barrier)
4. Cork (Sound Barrier)
5. Plywood

Keep in mind it’s a small space (roughly 66 sq/ft) that will accommodate 2 persons. Moisture is a major concern not only for common things such as mold and mildew but rust. Because it’s a vehicle (and my first build out) I’m taking precaution to make sure that it doesn’t rust from the inside out.

Any recommendations from the Green Building Community would be appreciated : )

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Sydney,
    The link you provided to the company selling "Ceramic Thermal Insulation Coating" does not give me confidence. This is the standard "insulating paint" scam. Run the other direction away from companies like this.

For more on the insulating paint scam, see ‘Insulating’ Paint Merchants Dupe Gullible Homeowners.

I am not an expert on van conversions. But if you decide to include any insulation, I recommend that you use two-component spray polyurethane foam.

2. charlie_sullivan | | #2

Also note that the proposed uses of radiant barrier layers here are bogus--radiant barriers only work if there is an air space next to them--they inhibit radiation crossing the air gap. If the radiant barrier is in contact with solid materials on both sides, it does nothing.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |