Starting point for affordable triple-glazed windows?

Hi guys, we are building in the White Mountains in New Hampshire. 1250 square-foot oneday retirment house with a small loft. We haven't solidified any details yet but are shooting for a pretty good house.

Lots of the local builders use Anderson 400 series some use Matthew's brothers windows, who does offer a triple glazed version/line. Even in this region there's clearly not a huge call for really good efficient windows, so I'd like to help my builder find the starting point to get the best windows we can afford, and I do not yet have a linenitem budget but the overall build budget not including site work or architecture is 350,000. If you had this budget, and your primary concern was the envelope what window online would you use? And what might I expect to pay for a typical 27" x 55" (based off my current Anderson's) casement window?

Asked by John Williams
Posted Mar 18, 2017 3:52 PM ET
Edited Mar 19, 2017 5:44 AM ET

1.

My climate is not as severe as yours, so I went with Andersen 100 series windows (fixed lights and casements) and 400 series sliding french doors. However, my front door is from Intus, and, based on how it looks and performs, I would have preferred that product for the entire house. (Unfortunately, I learned about Intus too late in the process.)

You should buy the best window your budget can support. There are quite a few options on the marketplace. Your budget will go further if you minimize the number of windows in the structure.

Answered by Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia
Posted Mar 18, 2017 7:03 PM ET

2.

John,
Intus. Paradigm. Inline Fiberglass. Duxton.

-- Martin Holladay

Posted Mar 19, 2017 5:46 AM ET

3.

When researching/buying windows for our house (Jackson, NH) in 2013, we narrowed our choices to either fiberglass or PVC and the brands of Marvin or Intus or Alpen. We further narrowed that down to Intus or Alpen because they had better specs for the cold climate here. And then narrowed it down to Alpen because we weren't sure if the longer lead time of Intus would work out.

I don't know much about what Anderson and Mathews Brothers offer, but Alpen and Intus are both great window lines for cold climates and have options to "tune" each window for its location on your house. They both have good local/regional dealers:

Intus - Performance Building Supply in Portland, ME - http://performancebuildingsupply.com
Alpen - Pinnacle Window Solutions in Hallowell, ME - http://www.pinnaclewindowsolutions.net

If you went with Alpen, I'd recommend at least the Zenith 625 line or above for the climate up here. The owner of Pinnacle even drove over to help us with the window delivery and some installation follow up.

Once you have more details about your window needs, you can submit a "window schedule" to each dealer for an estimate.

On another note, I'd also recommend looking into the Energy Star program. If you'll have NHEC as an electric provider, they'll pay for the consultation/certification service (which will include blower door tests).

Answered by Brian P
Posted Mar 19, 2017 9:20 AM ET

4.

Another to consider is Comfortline by Fiberframe (or is it Fiberframe by Comfortline?). They seem to be good quality fiberglass frame windows with the full range of triple-pane glass types available without excessive upcharges, and their prices in the US can be better than the price for importing Canadian windows, although that comparison might vary with the exchange rate.

Answered by Charlie Sullivan
Posted Mar 19, 2017 11:04 AM ET

5.

I quoted Inline a few months back, and it was $380 for a 10.7 sq.ft. triple glazed argon filled casement. No idea if the pricing has changed much, but that was as good as any other quote I got. Bigger windows were cheaper for the area.

--John

Answered by John Ranson
Posted Mar 19, 2017 11:13 AM ET

6.

guys, thanks so much for the input. this place is an absolute wealth of information.

whats a reasonable, or expected, turnaround on windows?

Answered by John Williams
Posted Mar 20, 2017 2:17 PM ET

7.

In the northeastern US, Harvey's ~U0.20 triple panes are usually available at "value pricing" competitive with some of the others at that end of the market (Paradigm, et al).

Posted Mar 20, 2017 2:58 PM ET

8.

Check out http://prossimo.us/. I used their windows in my pretty good house in ND and I would recommend them to anyone. They are based in upstate NY.

Answered by Adam Emter
Posted Mar 20, 2017 9:26 PM ET

9.

thanks again guys.

well, wife and builder have expanded sq footage to 1800, from 1250 (plus a loft) and i'm getting nudged to towards a lower energy standard (builder) and nicer finish level (wife)

now i'm hearing "marvin integrity, anything beyond that is past your budget and we dont have the vendor relationships, you'll pay full retail. we have great relationship/discount with marvin vendors"

can i get a decent house with these? ie if i insist on great air sealing and good insulation with thermal break etc.?

have a budget of $350k not including design or land and am feeling like i'm going to wind up with very average house. any input is welcome

Answered by John Williams
Posted Apr 15, 2017 8:09 PM ET

10.

Consider pricing out the Andersen 100 series. It a good window for the price.

Answered by Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia
Posted Apr 15, 2017 10:23 PM ET

11.

I've used Paradigm on several homes (good windows), Integrity double and triple glazed (IMO one of the best American windows), Alpen triple and quad pane and others. None come anywhere close to European style tilt turns such as Intus, which are not that much more - especially if you can buy some as fixed sash. If you don't have time to wait, check out Logic (http://logicwd.com) - an American manufactured European style tilt turn sold by Pinnacle Window Solutions. Windows are a critical component if your envelope, especially in northern NH.

Answered by Bob Irving
Posted Apr 17, 2017 1:25 PM ET

Twin Fresh combo in a hall?

In Green building techniques | Asked by scott mangold | Nov 23, 17

Attic insulation question

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Brian Ducharme | Nov 24, 17

Open-cell foam on attic floor

In General questions | Asked by David Coker | Nov 24, 17

Brick foundation questions

In General questions | Asked by User-6953713 | Nov 23, 17