GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Water supply – PEX?

drpepper | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

What is the better type of water supply .. besides PEX and copper without PVC or any leaching? and if we go with PEX, can you recommend one that does not have PVC or any leaching?
thank you!
– karen

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Karen,
    PEX is polyethylene, a totally different plastic from PVC (polyvinyl chloride).

2. drpepper | | #2

Hi Martin,
    Guess I meant is there a PEX that does not leach into the water.. Heard in California they use a PEX that does not leach. Wanted to find out recommendations for the one to specify with our plumber. Thanks, Karen

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Karen,
    I notice that you asked almost the same question here a year ago: PEX vs Copper.

In addition to re-reading the responses to your year-old thread, you might want to read Scott Gibson's summary on the issue: How Safe is PEX tubing?

4. drpepper | | #4

We are leaning towards PEX but want to find out which PEX I should tell our plumber to get for a new construction. Guess I'll repost question... Should have noted PEX without BPA. Thanks!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |