GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Hi there, I am a general contractor with a long history of natural building.

FcAWfK4Kcf | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I am currently on a design build project of a 1200 sq ft Net Zero Energy home in Santa Cruz, CA area.

We are about to insulate with a closed cell foam product called Spraytite 178. i have been informed of the issue of soy and plant based foams vs. non soy based for a number of years and want the best product for my project/ customer. I am wondering if, in your opinion, there is a significant advantage to any other closed cell foam in my locally available market ?

Thank you!
Michele Landegger

Boa Constructor Building and Design

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Michele,
    The amount of training the installer has received, along with the installer's skill level and reputation, are far more important than the type of foam used.

2. wjrobinson | | #2

Martin is right. Also some soy formulas in the past have proven to be touchy to work with.

I have only used water blown Icynene and so far no complaints. Still, I am not saying I prefer sprayfoam. The foam I used you can bury your nose in it, and not smell product. Just glad I haven't had an install go bad like some of the nightmare posts here at GBA.

Lastly, natural and sprayfoam are not compatible. Nothing natural about sprayfoam soy or no soy.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |