Are there closed-cell spray foam products that have low global warming aspects on the market now?

Are there closed-cell spray foam products/manufacturers that have low global warming aspects on the market now that folks can recommend?

I just read the article "Avoiding the Global Warming Impact of Insulation" and was wondering if the closed-cell industry has offered up any alternatives.
Daniel

Asked by Daniel Weaver
Posted Sep 21, 2012 7:53 PM ET
Edited Sep 22, 2012 5:38 AM ET

1.

All I can tell you is that Icynene has low and high density water blown products.

And the globe has way more problems than spray foam. Global riots for one.

Posted Sep 21, 2012 9:34 PM ET

2.

AJ,

Are those closed cell products? The global riots are not lost on me BTW...

Thx,

Daniel

Answered by Daniel Weaver
Posted Sep 21, 2012 10:57 PM ET

3.

Icynene. Give them a shout. Northeast Sprayfoam covers my area and they are on the web too.

Posted Sep 21, 2012 11:39 PM ET

4.

Aloha Energy is another source for open- and closed-cell, water-blown spray foams. Their other schtick is basing their B-side on plant oils instead of petroleum, e.g., castor oil. http://www.aloha-energy.com/index.php. They are based in Saratoga Springs NY. The spray foam installer I've been talking with recently says their prices (at least for delivery to VT) are on par with Icynene, which the installer also sometimes uses.

Answered by Jonathan Teller-Elsberg
Posted Oct 16, 2012 12:04 PM ET

5.

Only one Icynene closed cell product is blown without HFCs (MD-R-200), and it runs ~R5/inch (compared to their HFC245fa-blown 2lb foam that comes in at ~R7/inch, MD-C-200). The "-R-" foam is also about 3x more vapor-open than the "-C-" variant, which means you can run higher R values without creating a vapor-barrier. Most 2lb foam runs ~1-1.2 perms @ 1" (R6 - R7), whereas MD-R-200 is 1.3 perms @ 3" (R15).

Jonathan: I couldn't find anything on the Aloha site indicating the blowing agents used in their closed cell spray foam. Can you point me to a datasheet? It's hard to tell from their site but it seems like their higher density goods may only be injection foam, not spray, but it's not entirely clear. I'd also be interested in ASTM E96 perm ratings for their 1.8lb and 2.5lb foam.

Posted Oct 17, 2012 11:18 AM ET

Is it advisable to use nail base insulation panels over a roof insulated with closed cell spray foam?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jodi Gunderson | May 29, 15

Cut and cobble polyiso then spray foam

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by jason hood | Jun 28, 15

Attic hot after closed cell spray

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Mark hippchen | Jun 27, 15

Foam over a concrete floor

In General questions | Asked by tim brown | Jun 29, 15

Trapped moisture on SIP roof

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Edward Mallett | Jun 29, 15