Are there closed-cell spray foam products that have low global warming aspects on the market now?

Are there closed-cell spray foam products/manufacturers that have low global warming aspects on the market now that folks can recommend?

I just read the article "Avoiding the Global Warming Impact of Insulation" and was wondering if the closed-cell industry has offered up any alternatives.
Daniel

Asked by user-735982
Posted Sep 21, 2012 6:53 PM ET
Edited Sep 22, 2012 4:38 AM ET

1.

All I can tell you is that Icynene has low and high density water blown products.

And the globe has way more problems than spray foam. Global riots for one.

Answered by wjrobinson
Posted Sep 21, 2012 8:34 PM ET

2.

AJ,

Are those closed cell products? The global riots are not lost on me BTW...

Thx,

Daniel

Answered by user-735982
Posted Sep 21, 2012 9:57 PM ET

3.

Icynene. Give them a shout. Northeast Sprayfoam covers my area and they are on the web too.

Answered by wjrobinson
Posted Sep 21, 2012 10:39 PM ET

4.

Aloha Energy is another source for open- and closed-cell, water-blown spray foams. Their other schtick is basing their B-side on plant oils instead of petroleum, e.g., castor oil. http://www.aloha-energy.com/index.php. They are based in Saratoga Springs NY. The spray foam installer I've been talking with recently says their prices (at least for delivery to VT) are on par with Icynene, which the installer also sometimes uses.

Answered by user-1114009
Posted Oct 16, 2012 11:04 AM ET

5.

Only one Icynene closed cell product is blown without HFCs (MD-R-200), and it runs ~R5/inch (compared to their HFC245fa-blown 2lb foam that comes in at ~R7/inch, MD-C-200). The "-R-" foam is also about 3x more vapor-open than the "-C-" variant, which means you can run higher R values without creating a vapor-barrier. Most 2lb foam runs ~1-1.2 perms @ 1" (R6 - R7), whereas MD-R-200 is 1.3 perms @ 3" (R15).

Jonathan: I couldn't find anything on the Aloha site indicating the blowing agents used in their closed cell spray foam. Can you point me to a datasheet? It's hard to tell from their site but it seems like their higher density goods may only be injection foam, not spray, but it's not entirely clear. I'd also be interested in ASTM E96 perm ratings for their 1.8lb and 2.5lb foam.

Answered by user-1004076
Posted Oct 17, 2012 10:18 AM ET

National fiber

In Green products and materials | Asked by scott mangold | Feb 21, 17

Do pellet stoves generate much creosote?

In General questions | Asked by Martin Holladay | Feb 17, 17

Whole House Ventilation

In General questions | Asked by N/A N/A | Feb 21, 17

New home build in Iowa (Climate Zone 5)

In Building Code Questions | Asked by N/A N/A | Feb 20, 17