Are there closed-cell spray foam products that have low global warming aspects on the market now?

Are there closed-cell spray foam products/manufacturers that have low global warming aspects on the market now that folks can recommend?

I just read the article "Avoiding the Global Warming Impact of Insulation" and was wondering if the closed-cell industry has offered up any alternatives.
Daniel

Asked by Daniel Weaver
Edited Sat, 09/22/2012 - 05:38

1.

All I can tell you is that Icynene has low and high density water blown products.

And the globe has way more problems than spray foam. Global riots for one.

2.

AJ,

Are those closed cell products? The global riots are not lost on me BTW...

Thx,

Daniel

Answered by Daniel Weaver

3.

Icynene. Give them a shout. Northeast Sprayfoam covers my area and they are on the web too.

4.

Aloha Energy is another source for open- and closed-cell, water-blown spray foams. Their other schtick is basing their B-side on plant oils instead of petroleum, e.g., castor oil. http://www.aloha-energy.com/index.php. They are based in Saratoga Springs NY. The spray foam installer I've been talking with recently says their prices (at least for delivery to VT) are on par with Icynene, which the installer also sometimes uses.

Answered by Jonathan Teller-Elsberg

5.

Only one Icynene closed cell product is blown without HFCs (MD-R-200), and it runs ~R5/inch (compared to their HFC245fa-blown 2lb foam that comes in at ~R7/inch, MD-C-200). The "-R-" foam is also about 3x more vapor-open than the "-C-" variant, which means you can run higher R values without creating a vapor-barrier. Most 2lb foam runs ~1-1.2 perms @ 1" (R6 - R7), whereas MD-R-200 is 1.3 perms @ 3" (R15).

Jonathan: I couldn't find anything on the Aloha site indicating the blowing agents used in their closed cell spray foam. Can you point me to a datasheet? It's hard to tell from their site but it seems like their higher density goods may only be injection foam, not spray, but it's not entirely clear. I'd also be interested in ASTM E96 perm ratings for their 1.8lb and 2.5lb foam.

The differences between mass and insulation

In Green products and materials | Asked by Nathaniel G | Sep 15, 14

Help with basement design

In Green building techniques | Asked by leonid grossman | Sep 21, 14

Fresh air intake filters

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Venkat Y | Sep 20, 14

Sealing gap between garage floor & drywall?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Robert Hallenbeck | Sep 20, 14

Best time to stop construction for winter..?

In General questions | Asked by Lucyna de Barbaro | Sep 20, 14