GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How do I know whether the finish on a hardwood is safe?

Wwaskovich | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

We need to rip up our carpet ASAP because my mom told use to use scotch guard and we and our 5 month old little baby have had health problems for five months.

We were thinking of having lumber liquidators install hardwoods bc we can only afford around 8,000 for the materials and labor for a 1500 sq ft home in Greenville sc.

What is a safe hardwood? Unfinished? If we get pre finished how do we know it is safe?

We are concerned our son might develop autism because he has showed signs of regression and we need to eliminate as many toxins as possible from the home.

Thank you

Wendy

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Wendy,
    I have never seen any evidence that floor finishes (for example, polyurethane varnishes used to finish hardwood flooring) are toxic once they have cured. However, if you have any specific medical questions related to your son's symptoms, you should direct your questions to a pediatrician, not to a construction or green building forum.

You can certainly install unfinished hardwood if you want. Maple has been used for children's toys for hundreds of years, and is the preferred species for building blocks and other toys.

Unfinished hardwood flooring needs to be sanded after it is installed. If you don't finish it, it will show stains and get dirty. However, you can always clean the floor with a broom or a vacuum cleaner. Just don't expect the stains to go away.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |