GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What I can do with the smell in my attic after closed-cell foam was installed 10 day ago?

valvina68 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

My attic adjusted to my bedroom and I use attic for storage and for closet. From my bedroom I have door to attic what is very functional. This part of attic has large house fan which I use in very hot weather and fan suck out hat air from all my house. In the winter I close fan with large wooden board which is under lover part of attic. I had very old fiberglass insulation which started falling down. I invited “ASTRO” company which I found on Angie’s list. They said that any smell will disappear in two days. It is 10 days since insulation but I cant use this attic because of smell, I developed severe allergy and has to sleep in my friends houses. Company promised to coma yesterday but did not came. I what company they bought foam and I need also Material safety data sheet from company. Astro requested money on second day but I refused pay anything until I will not fell any smell in my attic. What next I have to do? I even consider to remove foam but it is very difficult and expensive. What I have to legally about this situation? Please give advise. Thank you very much. Elvina.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Elvina,
    The last time you asked this question, it was on a different thread:
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/green-products-and-materials/27762/shortchanged-spray-foam

I have already answered your questions there. But since it is possible that you didn't realize that I answered your questions. I will repeat my answer below.

If you haven't read it yet, I suggest that you read the following article: Spray Foam Jobs With Lingering Odor Problems.

Your first order of business is to work with the contractor who installed the spray foam. In some cases like yours, the contractor has agreed to remove the foam at the contractor's expense.

If those negotiations are not successful, you should contact the manufacturer of the spray foam. If you still come up against a brick wall, it may be time to contact a lawyer.

In the meantime, document all of your actions. Letters are better than phone calls. Date your letters and keep copies of all letters that you send. Good luck.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |