GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Has anyone used an IB Roof membrane (PVC)?

andrecomeaux69 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I have a home in south Florida with a “flat roof”. I currently have a built up asphalt roof. I am wanting to use tapered insulation to repitch the roof for better drainage and a little insulation. I have quotes for 1/8″ and 1/4 inch . Any thoughts out there? Thanks for any and all information shared
Andre Comeaux

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Andre,
    IB Roof Systems is one manufacturer of PVC membrane roofing; there are other manufacturers as well.

In cold climates, darker membranes like EDPM make sense. In hot climates, white membranes like PVC make sense.

When choosing what type of roofing membrane to install, the most important factors are the quality of the installation (the workmanship), the reputation of the roofing contractor, and the warranty. The type of membrane is less important.

2. gusfhb | | #2

They make white epdm

PVC needs special tools, heat welders etc so has fewer more specialized installers,
    while epdm needs special glue that you can now get at most lumberyards

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |