Siding & insulation

I just bought a"distressed" property. Goal #1 is to keep the renovations as cheap as possible. Goal # 2 is to be as green as possible. I am planning to wrap the exterior with 2" of 2nd hand polyiso (which I have piled in the living room.) It is felt-faced rather than foil-faced. Does anyone know anything about that? Question #2: I'm concerned about getting moisture in the walls. There's no interior moisture barrier and I'm not planning to rip out the interior walls (except where I need to put in new plumbing, wiring & windows, which is quite a bit). The walls are drywall, 3" foil-face fiber glass poorly installed, plywood, composite lap siding. (vinyl siding is gone.) I as planning to put the polyiso over the lap siding and seal thoroughly. Feedback? Any suggestions for siding? I was thinking about putting the vinyl siding (which is piled in my yard) back on until I can afford something more attractive.

Asked by diane shumway
Posted May 29, 2014 6:03 AM ET
Edited May 29, 2014 6:05 AM ET

1.

Diane,
Q. "I am planning to wrap the exterior with 2 inches of second-hand polyiso (which I have piled in the living room.) It is felt-faced rather than foil-faced. Does anyone know anything about that?"

A. Either type of polyiso will work fine for your application. Needless to say, pay attention to airtightness when installing the rigid foam; include a water-resistive barrier (WRB) that is integrated with the window and door flashing; and make sure that the rigid foam is all the same thickness so that your installation is co-planar.

Q. "I am planning to put the polyiso over the lap siding and seal thoroughly. Feedback?"

A. See the answer to question #1. Hopefully, you have a good grasp of moisture management principles and flashing techniques. If you don't, it's time to study up, or to hire an experienced contractor.

Q. "Any suggestions for siding? I was thinking about putting up vinyl siding."

A. Vinyl siding will work, as long as you are willing to install it on furring strips. For more information, see Can Vinyl Siding be Applied Over Furring Strips?

Posted May 29, 2014 9:05 AM ET
Edited May 29, 2014 9:07 AM ET.

Exterior foil-faced polyiso question

In Green building techniques | Asked by Randy Mason | Mar 16, 15

Should I air seal and insulate above the ceiling of my attached garage?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Nathaniel G | Mar 30, 15

New home buyer — metal roof in Maine with no sheathing

In General questions | Asked by dimitrios maniatakos | Mar 28, 15

2 questions: Rigid foam in attic space

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jeremy M | Mar 30, 15

Unvented slanted roof with radiant cooling and NO polyurethane in 4C

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Jan Verschuren | Mar 11, 15