Retrofit door sealing

Given all the complex issues covered on this site, this question might seem rather pedestrian....

I am not going to change out the doors on my house, but I would like to get them more airtight. In particular, I have two sliding patio glass doors, and my front door is a wood double door that has one door latched into the other (double swing in without a jamb piece between the individual doors).

Are there better weatherstripping kits out there that will deal with the the air leaks associated with these doors? We don't use one of the sliding doors. Is there a way to seal that door so that sealing material can be removed by a future homeowner?

I have looked at the big box stores and have not been able to find anything satisfactory.

Asked by Steve Young
Posted Jul 23, 2014 8:10 AM ET
Edited Jul 23, 2014 1:22 PM ET

The standard reversible weatherstripping for doors that you don't plan to open all winter is called "rope caulk" or "caulking cord." Most hardware stores sell it. Here are links to product pages on two of these products from Frost King:

Rope caulk

Caulking cord

If you can't find quality weatherstripping products locally, you can always shop online. Try these sources:

Accurate Metal Weatherstrip Co.
725 South Fulton Ave.
Mount Vernon, NY 10550
Manufacturer of weatherstripping for windows and doors, including zinc and brass weatherstrip

AM Conservation Group
2301 Charleston Regional Parkway
Charleston, SC 29492
Fax: 843-971-1472; Fax: 843-849-8242

Architectural Resource Center
557 Old Turnpike Road |
Northwood, NH 03261
Fax: 603-942-7465

J & R Products, Inc.
4695 East 200 North
Craigville, IN 46731
Fax: 219-565-3826
Fax: 800-518-4446

Niagara Conservation
45 Horsehill Rd.
Cedar Knolls, NJ 07927
Fax: 973-829-1400

Resource Conservation Technology
2633 North Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21218

Posted Jul 23, 2014 1:34 PM ET

Wow. That's a lot of weatherstripping.
Between Accurate and Frost King, I think that will be able to find the right product.

I must have gotten tired of looking at the long list when I Googled weatherstripping to not have found Accurate. The rope stuff is new to me, though.

Thank you

Answered by Steve Young
Posted Jul 23, 2014 2:43 PM ET

Accurate doesn't have much of a web presence. And installation of their products is somewhat high skill - there have been some good articles in JLC and Fine Homebuilding over the years on their products.

Sliding doors are notorious for drafts. If you can identify the manufacturer, you may be better off going directly to them for help or replacement weatherstrip/gaskets.

Answered by Dan Kolbert
Posted Jul 23, 2014 3:39 PM ET

Atypical Cathedral Insulation

In General questions | Asked by Matt Smit | Nov 25, 15

Solar array positioning in Charleston, SC

In Green building techniques | Asked by F White | Nov 24, 15

red wings winter classic jersey toronto maple leafs jersey

In General questions | Asked by brandicecp jeaninebthUT | Nov 25, 15

Split system location

In Mechanicals | Asked by A Lange | Nov 24, 15

Ideal load for a multispeed inverter-driven GSHP?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Ted | Nov 19, 15