0 Helpful?

Retrofit door sealing

Given all the complex issues covered on this site, this question might seem rather pedestrian....

I am not going to change out the doors on my house, but I would like to get them more airtight. In particular, I have two sliding patio glass doors, and my front door is a wood double door that has one door latched into the other (double swing in without a jamb piece between the individual doors).

Are there better weatherstripping kits out there that will deal with the the air leaks associated with these doors? We don't use one of the sliding doors. Is there a way to seal that door so that sealing material can be removed by a future homeowner?

I have looked at the big box stores and have not been able to find anything satisfactory.

Asked by Steve Young
Posted Jul 23, 2014 8:10 AM ET
Edited Jul 23, 2014 1:22 PM ET


3 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

The standard reversible weatherstripping for doors that you don't plan to open all winter is called "rope caulk" or "caulking cord." Most hardware stores sell it. Here are links to product pages on two of these products from Frost King:

Rope caulk

Caulking cord

If you can't find quality weatherstripping products locally, you can always shop online. Try these sources:

Accurate Metal Weatherstrip Co.
725 South Fulton Ave.
Mount Vernon, NY 10550
Manufacturer of weatherstripping for windows and doors, including zinc and brass weatherstrip

AM Conservation Group
2301 Charleston Regional Parkway
Charleston, SC 29492
Fax: 843-971-1472; Fax: 843-849-8242

Architectural Resource Center
557 Old Turnpike Road |
Northwood, NH 03261
Fax: 603-942-7465

J & R Products, Inc.
4695 East 200 North
Craigville, IN 46731
Fax: 219-565-3826
Fax: 800-518-4446

Niagara Conservation
45 Horsehill Rd.
Cedar Knolls, NJ 07927
Fax: 973-829-1400

Resource Conservation Technology
2633 North Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21218

Answered by user-756436
Posted Jul 23, 2014 1:34 PM ET


Wow. That's a lot of weatherstripping.
Between Accurate and Frost King, I think that will be able to find the right product.

I must have gotten tired of looking at the long list when I Googled weatherstripping to not have found Accurate. The rope stuff is new to me, though.

Thank you

Answered by Steve Young
Posted Jul 23, 2014 2:43 PM ET


Accurate doesn't have much of a web presence. And installation of their products is somewhat high skill - there have been some good articles in JLC and Fine Homebuilding over the years on their products.

Sliding doors are notorious for drafts. If you can identify the manufacturer, you may be better off going directly to them for help or replacement weatherstrip/gaskets.

Answered by DancingDan
Posted Jul 23, 2014 3:39 PM ET

Other Questions in Green products and materials

Follow up question re: basement subfloor (climate zone 7a)

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by N/A N/A | Feb 24, 17

Heat-pump water heater for an all-electric garage apartment?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Robert Hallenbeck | Feb 8, 17

Casement windows?

In Green building techniques | Asked by N/A N/A | Feb 26, 17

Hydronic Heating System Hydraulic Buffer Tank vs Hydraulic Seperator

In Mechanicals | Asked by Roger Smith | Feb 26, 17

insulating a garage

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by N/A N/A | Feb 26, 17
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!