GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Alpen Windows

jumanji | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Hello,
We are planning a new home in Southeastern, Pa. We are located in climate zone 4. I have requested quotes from Bieber, Zola and have found the price too expensive for the budget. I have also received a quote from Alpen Windows. The price is slightly more than half of those that I mentioned. I realize there are major differences and tradeoffs. Does anyone have experience with Alpen Wiindows?
Thanks,
William

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. brp_nh | | #1

We chose the Alpen 525 line for our house in NH and have been happy with the decision. This is the first house build I've been involved with, so I can't compare Alpen to other companies...but they seem like a good performing window line at an affordable price, it also helps that one of their largest dealers is not too far from us in Maine.

2. jumanji | | #2

Brian,
    Thanks for the reply. We are thinking of the 525 casement windows. Did you use the casement or some other style of window?

3. dankolbert | | #3

I installed a house full of them when they were still Serious. The owners have been happy with them - it's been 3 years now. Just make sure you see them - you lose some visible light from the film.

4. brp_nh | | #4

We have a mix of mostly casements and fixed (Picture), with a couple awning windows. I would suggest trying to fit some fixed/Picture windows in because they are cheaper (I think) and you don't need every window to open. I can see the awning windows being useful for having a window cracked when there is some precipitation. We only moved in two months ago.

I haven't really noticed or been bothered by light loss or change, but we have a good open southern exposure with plenty of light.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |