GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Cellulose comparisons

dfvellone | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

My new construction will be getting dense pack in the walls. I’ve been looking at National Fiber’s
Cel-Pak which is an all borate cellulose and advertised by National as being comprised of over-issue newsprint. In a nutshell, they describe it as “the cleanest cellulose insulation you can buy”. Though I do like the all borate aspect and am not a fan of ammonium sulfate in insulation, is Cel-Pak worth the higher price? Is the lack of glossy ad paper and post consumer recycled material going to have measurable advantages? If the price difference was negligible there would be no question which product I’d use, but having received two bids for my project, one using Cel-Pak and the other not, the difference in price is large.
Thanks for your thoughts.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Daniel,
    This is a judgment call. I think that it's fair to say that cellulose with ammonium sulfate would not be on the market if there were widespread problems with the product. The vast majority of owners of homes with this type of cellulose are quite satisfied with the product's performance.

It's my understanding that the few reported problems with ammonium sulphate have to do with wet cellulose. Of course, if you have a water-entry problem -- a plumbing leak or a major roof leak -- you've got a big problem no matter what brand of cellulose you have selected.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |