GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is the safest (healthwise) roller blind I can buy?

pennylee3 | Posted in Interior Design on

What materials would it be made of. I can find one made of linen but with an acrylic foam backing.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. charlie_sullivan | | #1

Unlike PVC pipes and vinyl siding, vinyl window shades have plasticizers to improve flexibility, and most of those are at least suspect health wise. So I don't recommend PVC. That's probably what you already knew and why you asked.

Any fabric you are OK with wearing as clothing should be safer as a window shade. So that probably gives you lots of options. Are you looking for something that blocks light completely? That might be a reason for the acrylic backing you suggest. I am not aware of any health concerns with acrylic.

2. gusfhb | | #2

http://www.fixmyblinds.com/Roller-Shade-Kit-01-02-p/roller-kit-01-02.htm
    I am sure there are cheaper but any material you wish, I remember seeing blackout shades made with a white over black sheet sewn together

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |