GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is the average annual cost to operate a residential mechanical ventilation system in a typical 1800 sq. ft. home?

CageyAG | Posted in Mechanicals on

For low-income energy efficiency programs in CA, we are trying to estimate the average cost/year to operate a residential whole-dwelling mechanical ventilation system.
• For our programs, the assumed electric rate is $0.17 / kWh.
• I am seeking research information that will help us estimate the average annual cost to operate a typical residential mechanical ventilation system.
• If you can help me, or can refer me to someone who might be able to, please do!
Andre Grieco [email protected]

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Andre,
    You should check out a study by John Semmelhack. Here is the link: An energy and economic modeling study of exhaust ventilation systems compared to balanced ventilation systems with energy recovery.

Semmelhack found that the kWh/year need to operate a ventilation system in a 1,800-square-foot house in San Francisco ranged from 324 kWh to 795 kWh (depending on the equipment chosen). If your electricity costs 17 cents per kWh, that means that the annual cost ranges from $55 to $135.

A table summarizing Semmelhack's energy calculations can be found in my article on the topic, Are HRVs Cost-Effective? The table I'm referring to is reproduced as Image #3 at the bottom of my article.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |