GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What should I do to make sure an older boiler is venting properly when I seal up the basement?

BobRVt | Posted in Mechanicals on

I am sealing up the basement of a 100-year old multi-family with a 40+ year-old steam boiler. Prior to this work there was a lot of airflow intrusion which is now being reduced. How do I make sure that the boiler is venting properly up the chimney and there are no internal leaks? Is there anything I can do to introduce heat savings on the venting end of the cycle without changing out the boiler?

Bob

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Robert,
    Atmospherically vented boilers require an adequate amount of combustion air, as you know. Code requirements for combustion makeup air vary depending on whether a home is built to average construction or tight construction — loosly defined terms, unfortunately. An HVAC installer or home-performace contractor should be able to test the operation and safety of your equipment to determine whether adequate combustion makeup air is available. If you can't determine this by yourself, it's time to call a professional.

If combustion is incomplete and venting is imperfect, your boiler could release carbon monoxide into your home. It's not worth guessing on the details.

2. Tobias | | #2

Robert,

I have been look at products from this company for my own house: http://fieldcontrols.com/cas.php

I have no idea how well they work, and would rely on expert advice myself. I have heard that there can be problems (particularly at start up) with the boiler pulling in completely un-tempered air.

-Tobias

3. badgerboilerMN | | #3

The average boiler lasts 30 years. Perhaps a new ModCon boiler with sealed combustion and no more worries.

To make a one hundred year old house tight enough to starve a boiler is very difficult. A combustion analysis by a qualified heating contractor would be wise however.

http://www.badgerboilerservice.com

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |