Helpful? 0

How do I find an independent energy rater that is familiar with up-to-date heating & cooling systems for a PGH?

Energy modeling confusion. How do I find an independent energy rater that is familiar with up-to-date heating and cooling systems for a PGH?

We are designing our own home and have read the blogs supporting and discouraging the use of energy modeling. How do we find someone to do an energy analysis who is not selling a specific HVAC product but can recommend an HVAC system that's appropriate for a PGH?

We've spoken with a few contractors that sell the minisplits in our area and they don't seem very knowledgeable about their own product. Our options are Propane, Electric, and Wood. Originally we were planning on using a GSHP. But I'm trying to see if an ASHP could do the job.

Asked by russell berenson
Posted Wed, 03/26/2014 - 10:22
Edited Wed, 03/26/2014 - 11:19


2 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Look for an energy rater certified by RESNET or BPI. You can visit these organizations' websites to find lists of specialists in your area:



Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Wed, 03/26/2014 - 11:16

Helpful? 0

It sounds like what you want is an independent HVAC designer. Here's the best one that I know of:

David Butler -

Answered by John Semmelhack
Posted Wed, 03/26/2014 - 16:37
Edited Wed, 03/26/2014 - 16:39.

Other Questions in Mechanicals

In Mechanicals | Asked by Brian Gray | Jul 31, 14
In Interior design | Asked by Adam Lawrence | Aug 1, 14
In Building Code Questions | Asked by Jim Johnston | Aug 1, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Brett Sichello | Jul 31, 14
In General questions | Asked by Anne Nelson | Jul 31, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!