I live in a two story townhome with 2,000 sq. ft. and one heating system

I live in a two story townhome with 2,000 sq. ft. and one heating system. The temperatures are always uneven from one floor to another. Should it take two separate HVAC systems to even out temps? Looking for suggestions.The present system is 80% natural gas furnace and builder AC.

Asked by James Brown
Edited Sat, 06/21/2014 - 15:50

1.

James,
Homes that are very well insulated and have a low rate of air leakage are more likely to have even temperatures. Homes that leak a lot of air tend to have the problem you describe.

There are three ways to address this problem:

1. Hire a home performance contractor to inspect your home (perform an energy audit with a blower door) and, if necessary, seal as many of your home's air leaks as possible.

2. Hire an HVAC contractor to zone your existing systems.

3. Hire an HVAC contractor to install separate furnaces and air conditioners for each floor.

Needless to say, I suggest that you start with option 1. If my hunch is correct, solving air leakage problems first will make it easier for you to find a solution to your problem.

For more information on this issue, I suggest that you read this article, including the comments that follow: Keeping Cool in a Two-Story House.

Edited Sun, 06/22/2014 - 04:46.