GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Experience with Rinnai vent-free convectors?

KeithH | Posted in Mechanicals on

Anyone used or have experience with Rinnai Vent-Free Convectors?

I’m a little baffled by this product. No ducts, no vents, nearly 100% efficiency. Relatively low cost, relatively low total load. Am I missing something here? It seems like the low load crowd would be all over these, as a backup heating up for high efficiency minis if not as a main line unit.

http://www.rinnai.us/vent-free/products

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Keith,
    Although the manufacturers of this type of heater like to call their products "vent-free," many observers have noted that these products actually use your living room (and your lungs) as the vent. They're vented, all right -- into your home.

GBA has published several articles on this type of heater, including these:

Avoid Unvented Gas Heaters

A Ventless Gas Fireplace Doesn’t Belong in Your Home

It should be noted that Rinnai also sells vented space heaters -- the kind with a through-the-wall vent. I have written an article that notes that this type of simple space heater is often appropriate for a small, well insulated home: Heating a Tight, Well-Insulated House.

2. kevin_in_denver | | #2

Martin has nailed it.
    It is a complete mystery to me why a company with a great reputation would market this product

3. KeithH | | #3

Thanks guys. I figured that was the answer. I searched on GBA but too narrowly.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |