GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Instananeous hot water with a tank

goodheat | Posted in Mechanicals on

I’m looking for the manufacturer of an instantaneous hot water heater with a thirty gallon tank mounted above it. The manufacturer advertises it as a complete unit. Any info will be appreciated.
Scott

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Scott,
    It sounds like an unlikely combination. Plenty of manufacturers sell 30-gallon electric-resistance water heaters, of course, and if you don't have a big family with lots of simultaneous showers, such a water heater might work just fine.

If the water heater has a 30-gallon tank, why would you need an instantaneous heater?

To put it another way: if you have an instantaneous heater, why would you need 30 gallons of storage?

2. goodheat | | #2

I'm not sure the exact gallons of the tank. There is a manufacturer making the water heater I just can't remember who it was. I could be a boiler also that heats domestic and radiant.

3. goodheat | | #3

I found it, Integrated Boiler and Combination Water Heating with Rinnai Q Premier

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Scott,
    I jumped to the idea that you were talking about an electric water heater, not a gas water heater. My mistake.

Now I understand what you are talking about. This is a combination appliance used for space heating as well as domestic hot water. (Your original question didn't mention space heating.)

The 22-gallon tank in the Rinnai Q Premier makes space heating possible. (To learn about all the difficulties of trying to design a hydronic heating system without a storage tank, see Using a Tankless Water Heater for Space Heat.) If you are planning to install a hydronic heating system, the tank is a good idea.

For more information on modulating condensing boilers, see Sizing a Modulating Condensing Boiler.

5. user-2890856 | | #5

Scott ,

If this is going into a well built home proceed with caution on the design of the system for space heating . Low end on this combi is 17000 BTUh , dependant on your low end and high end design loads you will probably need a buffer tank also for the space heating component . Although they say it has everything you need , I assure you it does not . The boiler will short cycle as will all these types of unit . The tank that is included is for DHW storage only , not for space heating . Keep in mind also that although the tank capacity is 24 gallons the storage capacity is not 24 gallons but in fact about .75% or 18 gallons , tanks stratify , no way around it .

To figure out what size buffer tank you may need you can use the following equation :

17,000 BTUh - smallest zone = BTUh surplus
    BTUh surplus x desired run time ( usually 10 minutes or greater ) = cycle factor
    cycle factor / Delta T x 500 = tank capacity

Most folks use the design load smallest zone , I usually use loads at 40* ODT to get the boiler firing for good long cycles for a greater % of the heating season . Room by room heat loss calc and knowing how the system will be zoned is necessary .

https://www.rinnai.us/boiler/product/qp85n#tabs-2

You may find that a stand alone boiler sized properly and a different strategy are better suited for your wants and needs .

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |