GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Are leaks in a structure…

ideas123 | Posted in Plans Review on

Checking for leaks? is the Green’s leakage decreased in homes, now that it has gone green? Or, is it basically the same / near or = to studies (in normal construction techniques)?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

I don't understand your question. But I'll make a guess.

If you are asking, "Should a green home have an air leakage rate that is less than the air leakage rate in a typical home?" -- the answer is Yes.

2. srenia | | #2

oddly phrased quetion. Is a truly green building materials able to air seal as well as modern materials in construction? Just guessing that's the question.

Matters what you consider green materials. When I look at plastics and other oil based products the home actually might be the one place that having a material that is hard to throw away be wise.

3. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #3

The definition of "normal construction techniques" needs to be spelled out in detail. Many builders (usually in colder climates) were constructing houses that would test under 3ACH/50 even before it was mandated by code under IRC 2012. Many other builder normally built houses 3-5x that leaky prior to IRC 2012, and still struggle with it.

At 3ACH/50 a lot of comfort issues (such as overly dry indoor air in winter) go away, but it also makes active ventilation (particularly kitchen & bath exhaust ventilation) rise in importance for keeping indoor air quality high.

That's not to say leakier houses always have higher indoor air quality- they don't. A lot depends on just where the infiltration paths are.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |