Interior and exterior wall design: Comments and concerns
I’m at the point of finalizing my wall design and before I started to pour foundations I thought I’d see if any of the experts here could pick holes in my wall design philosophy. Attached is a PDF of my plan.
I’m in climate zone 6a. New construction at 7000ft elevation with walk out basement. I’m going for a “pretty good house” concept with outie windows
To make it easier for comments here are some specific questions i’m still pondering:
1) I’m showing BIBS cavity insulation but is there any reason I should (or should not) be looking at cellulose. A builder acquaintance of mine at a Christmas party suggested I should use cellulose as it goes on wet and is a better air seal than BIBS. I’m worried about the moisture content and drying time.
2) I’ve shown a half inch gap between the basement polyiso and the finished interior slab which is taped. Should I be concerned about moisture leaking in through the foundation wall, maybe not now but in 10 or 20 years and would you recommend I do anything different than shown here?
3) Because I’ve got a stone veneer that covers the foundation wall and in most cases extends up several feet into the wood framed section AND because I’ve got 2.5″ of polyiso on the house I had trouble deciding how to make the drainage plane behind my siding match up with the drainage plane behind the rock veneer. In figure 2 you can see that I’ve extended my 2.5″ of exterior polyiso over the outside of my foundation wall. The WRB is on the outside of the polyiso. As you can see I have my foundation wall sandwiched between the inside and outside polyiso. Does anybody see any issue with this or can they recommend a better method of doing this? I also thought about mounting furring strips to the outside of the concrete, adding a layer of sheathing to that and then the wire mesh and lath and then the Sure Cavity drain then the veneer but thought the foam option seemed better.
4) The whole stone veneer system is supported by 5″ x 5″ x 1/4″ galvanized angle iron. It will be “floating” about 6″ above finished grade. Any comments?
5) Figure 3 – I’ve shown a metal bug screen stuffed with a ridge venting material but I’m not sure really how to do this detail and shooting a little bit from the hip. Does anybody have comments suggestions?
6) Drainage behind the stone veneer will be via a 5mm SureCavity drainage material. Does anybody have any comments on this material or have any other suggestions for creating the drainage plane behind the stone veneer?
7) Should the WRB extend all the way down to the angle iron or should it stop an inch or two below the top of the foundation wall?
8) Any other suggestions for improvement or concerns?
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part