Technique for laying wall to wall carpeting without tack strips

Hammer 🔨 | Posted in General Questions on

Hey hope everyone is well. I’m laying carpet padding over concrete and taping the seams so it doesn’t move. I want to install wall to wall carpet but I don’t want to nail it down or glue it onto pad. Padding does not recommend gluing carpet to pad. Would double sided tape
work? I want it secure it but I also want it to be easy to remove. I have area rugs that are not glued or nailed and they don’t have a problem shifting. Could I simply cut it to fit the size of the room?

1. Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia | | #1

Hammer,

I’m not a carpet installer, but I think you need the tack strip to stretch the carpet. If you don’t want to do that, you could install area rugs. I was in a flooring store yesterday and noticed they could turn most of their wall to wall carpet into custom area rugs.

2. DCContrarian | | #2

Tack strips and glue are the only two techniques I know of, but I'm not a floor guy.

I know they do make carpet tiles. I looked at them a while ago and they seemed expensive for what they were though.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |