GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Green Permits

user-282515 | Posted in Building Code Questions on

I learned today that a couple of builders I work with “volunteered” me to meet with one of our local Codes Departments next week to explain, and possibly help develop the process for, a streamlined Green Permitting Process. While there is good information here in the Code Green Blog, I am curious if anyone else has been through this process with their Codes Department? If so, I would appreciate any comments or suggestions related to your experience.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Doug McEvers | | #1

Grant,
    A little more detail would be helpful.

2. user-282515 | | #2

Doug,

I wish I had more information to give, but, at this time, I have not had an initial meeting with the Codes officials. The builders who "volunteered" me are clients for whom I perform NAHB Green Building Certification and perform HERS ratings on the homes they build.

From what I understand, the Codes people are little flustered (confused?) with green building practices. Undoubtedly, this is from lack of education. At least they are willing to listen (and hopefully learn) as to what they can do to facilitate green building and maybe develop a green permitting process.

I will know more after we meet, but I am curious if anyone has been through a similar process with a Codes department in their area.

3. Doug McEvers | | #3

MN had a while back what was called the "energy code task force" and I was invited to sit in on the meetings. I was only able to attend several but it seemed my builders experience and perspective had some value.. MN Energy Code I believe is merging with the 2009 IECC or will be very similar to it with maybe a few cold climate nuances.

My experience with local code officials has been pleasant and they are always very encouraging when you exceed the energy code. We in MN have had a strong energy code for a number of years so I think most code officials are quite well versed in energy related issues. We also have a very progressive mechanical code, the basis I believe came from the Sound Insulation Program, the soundproofing of about 8,000 homes around the MSP airport.

4. Lynn Underwood | | #4

Grant,
    There are more and more opportunities like this opening up for both sides to discuss the green building movement and how both sides can benefit from the other. Show the Building Official that you are from the mainstream. Do that by researching both NAHB's and ICC's website. Both have sections dedicvated to green building. Icc's website is http://www.iccsafe.org and NAHB is http://www.nahb.org. Demonstrate that you are interested in surpassing the code not merely meeting it. That will bring a comfort level. More than likely you are interested in getting your permits faster because you are providing compliance with a green initiative. That is the model for many jurisdictions. In this economy, however, permits are probably not delayed much anyway. Arlington County (Virginia) has a green building program that does just that. It is called Arlington Green Home Choice. Check out their website. ICC is currently working on a green construction code (expected this year). More and more building officials like me, are getting involved in this movement. Call me if you need me. Lynn Underwood
    (757) 664-6511

5. MICHAEL CHANDLER | | #5

Been there, just got the beta doc back from the planning office.

I'll try to get a blog up on it this evening but in the mean time send me your e-mail (michael at chandlerdesignbuild.com) and I'll send you what the county came up with as a result of our input process which included a wide array of architects, production and green builders and remodelers, lawyers and code officials.

6. Armando Cobo | | #6

Grant,
    Five years a go the City of ABQ, the local HBA, USGBC, AIA, AGC, NAIOP and other stake holders started putting together the Albuqreuque Energy Conservatio Code I (Commercial) and AECC II (Residential). It took several years of "politics" and a federal law suit by the HVAC Manufacturers Assc. "to go through", but finally it was implemented last year. See http://www.cabq.gov/albuquerquegreen/green-goals/green-building
    I've also participated in the Code Change Committee at the State of NM level were they want to implement the 2009 IECC + 20%. Its not done yet but close to it.
    If you need more info, you can contact me at 972.781.9248 or email. Good luck and lots of patience...(you'll need it)

7. Armando Cobo | | #7

Sorry, my email is [email protected]

8. Mike M | | #8

I recommend looking at the Rhonert Park, California Green Building Ordinance. This is thorough and thoughtful and was passed with input from all players. It speaks to the manadtory requirements and the rationale to sell them. The Ordinance was effective on 7/01/07. It would be good to hear of any issues they've encountered since.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |