GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Foam Insulation under a porch

WEG | Posted in Building Code Questions on

I’ve been asked to insulate a porch that is now a part of the living space of the house. It was converted to living space a long time ago. The insulation there now is fiberglass batts that have fallen onto the ground. The joist are not 16″ on center – looks like an old farmer used what he had. I’m thinking about spraying the floor with two part expanding foam. Do I have to cover this with fire retardent paint? The space under the porch varies from 16″ to 36″. The closed cell foam would keep moisture out. The porch is on piers over earth with lattice on three sides.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Walter,
    The best person to answer your question is your local building official.

If you live somewhere beyond the reach of building codes, it's up to you how to proceed. If it were my own house, I would protect the underside of floor with a layer of OSB or plywood, digging out the crawl space as necessary for adequate access.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |