0 Helpful?

How do you reconcile continuous insulation requirements with rated assembly requirements?

The application is multifamily construction. We have energy requirements stipulating continuous R-3 insulation, in addition to required cavity insulation. We also have rated exterior wall assembly requirements.

I have not found any UL or GA assemblies that work, nor have I found any SIS product that has been UL tested.

Asked by david nofsinger
Posted Nov 27, 2012 10:59 AM ET
Edited Nov 27, 2012 12:02 PM ET


4 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Half inch fire-rated rigid polyiso, mayhaps? What UL test does it need to meet?

Answered by Dana Dorsett
Posted Nov 27, 2012 4:02 PM ET


U356 and/or U305

Answered by david nofsinger
Posted Nov 27, 2012 5:22 PM ET


UL U356 SIS test reports:



I'd be surprised if 1.25" Roxul Comfortboard over OSB or ply wouldn't pass the test, but I didn't find U305 or U356 in a cursory scan. http://www.roxul.com/residential/products/roxul+comfortboard+is

Answered by Dana Dorsett
Posted Nov 27, 2012 5:56 PM ET


Thanks for the help!

Answered by david nofsinger
Posted Nov 27, 2012 6:01 PM ET

Other Questions in Building Code Questions

Installed R-60 insulation in attic... now using AC more than before

In General questions | Asked by Jeff Watson | Jul 12, 14

Sizing an HRV unit

In Mechanicals | Asked by gary bruzzese | Apr 26, 15

Water heater standby losses

In Mechanicals | Asked by Pete Engle | Apr 28, 10

Deep energy retrofit — Envelope upgrade questions

In Green building techniques | Asked by Andrew Wuench | Mar 31, 15

Suggestion for making a 30 year old home more efficient while roof and siding are off

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Chad B | Apr 25, 15
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!