Vapor barriers inside AND outside of unvented crawl space?

I have been trying to figure something out for days. Maybe you can provide some clarity.

If I am building an unvented crawl space, and have an interior vapor barrier on the ground and sealed to the stem wall, with rigid insulation over it, do I need to have a vapor barrier on the EXTERIOR of the foundation wall, as well?

Do I even need to brush asphalt on the exterior CMU or do I want it to breathe?
Thanks so much!

Asked by Beyhan Trock
Posted Feb 7, 2013 5:43 PM ET

1.

Beyhan,
Yes, you need to install asphalt dampproofing (or a waterproofing system) on the exterior of your CMU walls. This asphalt dampproofing is required by most building codes, and it's always a good idea.

It's normal for below-grade CMU walls to be somewhat damp. Concrete blocks and mortar aren't damaged by moisture, so you don't have to worry too much about the drying rate of the CMU wall. The asphalt dampproofing is a vapor retarder, not a vapor barrier. In most such walls, there is some drying through the exterior of the above-grade portion of the wall. In any case, don't worry about it.

Posted Feb 8, 2013 8:19 AM ET

2.

Thanks. BTW - Does exposed insulation in an unvented crawlspace have to be covered with something like cement board, so that it won't burn and give off toxic fumes in a fire?

Answered by Beyhan Trock
Posted Feb 8, 2013 10:33 AM ET

HPWH, HRV, bathroom vent, stove-top vent, make-up air, and balancing house ventilation

In General questions | Asked by brad hardie | Apr 9, 15

Should I consider using waterproof concrete for my foundation?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Timothy Denny | Apr 19, 15

Request for comments on this wall mock-up.

In General questions | Asked by Chuck Jensen | Apr 18, 15

Hardwood flooring question

In Interior design | Asked by Beenash Khan | Apr 19, 15

Insulating a parallel scissor truss roof

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by AlCocklake | Apr 12, 15