GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Uneven Heating & Cooling on different floors of 2 Story home

Microwave-Guy | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Uneven heating or cooling in a multi-level home, situations where the upstairs it’s hard to keep cool in the summer or the downstairs is hard to keep warm in the winter – is a very common issue.

I have a two level home in North Texas with separate Heating and Cooling systems, each having their own heat/ac thermostat (& switch). The issue is that the large volume of air exchange due to the large game room openings (88 x 54” x 2) plus the top of the stairway (40” x 96”) causes upstairs to be too warm and downstairs too cold. They put the thermostats right at the top and bottom of the stairway. The air returns are also found immediately at the top and bottom of the stairway.

I’ve seen this referred to as the energy “black hole” by others seeking resolution. This is because whomever is upstairs decides it’s too warm for them and runs the AC while the heater is still on downstairs freezing anyone downstairs (where the Master Bedroom is typically located). The other thing they do is open a window to cool off, still freezing anyone downstairs. Either running the AC or opening an upstairs window while the heat is on downstairs just causes the heat to run constantly and makes it even hotter upstairs.

My solution is that I have ordered energy efficient double cellular blinds (with side rails) to seal the large openings to the game room and a sliding door on a rail (Barn door style) to seal the top of the stairway. I haven’t received all the material yet, but it’s the only solution I have been able to come up with and I can’t find anything resolving this online.

I would also like to find thermostats that communicate via wireless to allow us to switch the AC or Heat only from downstairs.

Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Al,
    The problem you describe is always worse in a home with a high rate of air leakage. It's probably worth paying for some blower-door-directed air sealing work.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |