GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Best/cheapest way to waterproof a concrete deck?

eggdood | Posted in General Questions on

I have a 20X20 concrete deck above my basement, at the end of my driveway. It is made up of 4’X20 concrete slabs. When it rains, the joints leak. I am trying to turn my basement into a workshop, but haven’t because of the water issue. I live in the mountains at 5000 ft. if that makes any difference. I am looking for a way to apply the waterproofing material myself, but everyone wants to do the job for me. Which makes this project prohibitively expensive. I would appreciate any suggestions.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

EggDood,
    If I understand correctly, you have a basement without a house on top. Instead of a house on top of the basement, there is a slab exposed to the weather. It leaks.

What you need is a roof. I don't think there is any other way to make this waterproof. I would suggest installing sheathing or cover board over the concrete, with or without a continuous layer or horizontal rigid foam under the coverboard, followed by a high-quality membrane roofing, with proper flashing where the roofing meets any walls.

Once you have installed the roofing, you can install a deck above the roofing -- either a wood deck on sleepers, or some type of pavers.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |