Cheapest way to build net zero house?
Hi. I have some questions about building an affordable net zero energy house. I will present a basic outline of my plan, and then ask some questions. In addition, I welcome any comments on any parts of the plan which could use adjustment.
Note: I am not a professional and only know what little I know from browsing these and other websites.
Plan: Northeast Ohio. 30’x50′ exterior. Slab on grade foundation with R-10 rigid foam below slab. ICF stem walls? Double stud walls with R-40 in cellulose. R-60 roof with high heel roof trusses. Simple gable metal roof. Solar panels. Basic interior finishes: nothing custom.
Which is more cost effective:
1. Ductless minisplit vs. more solar and electric heat?
2. HRV or ERV vs. more solar? Can I get by with one or two WhisperComforts?
3. Triple pane vs. more solar? If triple pane is indicated, which company is cheapest? Intus?
4. Staying with windows, what dimensions are cheapest? Has anyone had luck calling a company to get custom product which was not sold for cheap(ish) and then designing around those dimensions?
5. I would like to avoid venting my dryer. Do you know the most affordable condensing dryers?
6. Is drain heat recovery worthwhile? Can you use drain heat recovery if you are using on demand water heaters? Are on demand water heaters more cost effective?
7. Is having just one exterior door acceptable? What is the most cost effective door?
Thanks for your consideration!