0 Helpful?

Recycling

Hey
Yesterday I came across this blog: https://junkit.ca/5-things-you-thought-you-could-put-in-the-recycling-bin-but-cant/ which left me in surprise. It says pizza box, water bottle cap, wet paper, aerosol can and so are not recyclable. This is a new knowledge for me. But is it true? I know recycling is important for the earth as well for the future generations to come. So I'd like to start a discussion based on recycling here.

Asked by emma3434
Posted May 16, 2018 12:56 AM ET

Tags:

4 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Emma,
I suspect that you are just trying to boost the number of visits to a blog site that you are associated with. But I may be wrong.

The article is mostly correct, except for its incorrect use of the word "Styrofoam." If you have any doubts, simply call up your local trash-collection authority and verify the information.

Styrofoam is a brand name for one type of extruded polystyrene (XPS). Most homeowners have few opportunities to throw away any XPS.

More common (but in declining use) for household purposes is expanded polystyrene (EPS) -- the common white foam used to make coffee cups. Most residential recycling programs don't accept EPS.

Answered by Martin Holladay
Posted May 16, 2018 5:25 AM ET
Edited May 16, 2018 6:11 AM ET.

I can imagine how soiled paper would be impractical to recycle. Makes more sense to compost that stuff. Most people can barely follow the general guidelines of what to put in the bins, so most programs don't even bother to try to divert it, they just sort it out at the facility.

Answered by Trevor Lambert
Posted May 16, 2018 8:49 AM ET

Our community's "waste management" service ended its recycling program because too many bags of recyclables were being contaminated with regular garbage. So far the community has not been able to find a replacement recycler.

Answered by Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia
Posted May 16, 2018 10:08 AM ET

Posters are free to discuss anything they want, but from my perspective the usefulness of GBA is just that: Green Building Advice. Recently there have been a number of discussions around lifestyle choices and energy use. That's all well and good, but there are literally hundreds of sites dealing with those issues. High performance construction is where the expertise of the editors lies and the reason most of the posters come here, not the content of their recycle bin.

Answered by Malcolm Taylor
Posted May 16, 2018 10:50 AM ET

Other Questions in General questions

Vaulted / Cathedral Ceiling -- Unvented

In Green building techniques | Asked by User-7075735 | May 23, 18

Difficulty finding a modulating multi-zone air-source heat pump

In Mechanicals | Asked by Jonathan Lawrence CZ 4A New Jersey | May 21, 18

Spray foam questions

In General questions | Asked by Stanger133 | May 20, 18

Spray foam from crawlspace onto bottom of plank subfloor in Pacific NW?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Frasca | May 21, 18
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!