GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Egress Question

John_Brown | Posted in General Questions on

Hello,

This is a dumb egress question. If a small 12’x16′ cabin was built (one room + one bathroom), would any of the windows need to meet egress? There will be an exterior door obviously. If there are no walls inside, would the exterior door count as a means of egress?

Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

John,
    I would check with the local code authority if I were you. Most houses have at least two doors, but that may be a convention rather than a code requirement.

2. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #2

The 2015 IRC requires emergency escape and rescue opening in any sleeping room, so if you have one open room, the door you have should be sufficient. The door must have 32" x 78" clearance, and the maximum threshold height is 1 1/2 inches from the top of the threshold to the landing.

3. John_Brown | | #3

This is helpful. I basically have two large windows that I need to purchase. One is a picture window (fixed) and the other is an awning or a casement (a double). I would prefer it to be an awning but it seems that awning windows no matter how large, don't qualify as egress. The double casement would break up the sight lines to the mountains... Obviously, as I mentioned, I have a door right next to where a bed could go so I am hoping this will suffice as egress. The awning could also easily be used as egress but that is another story...

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |