GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Venting the soffit of an exterior non-roof awning

brandonm78 | Posted in General Questions on

I was wondering if you have to vent the underside of an exterior awning that is not a roof and has no insulation in it. It will have T&G decking on the underside.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. brandonm78 | | #1

Here is a picture. You can see the joists in the area that I am talking about. The home is located on Camano Island, WA and is in a moderate marine environment.

2. brandonm78 | | #2

picture

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Sam,
    Q. "I was wondering if you have to vent the underside of an exterior awning that is not a roof and has no insulation in it."

A. No.

4. wjrobinson | | #4

Sam, venting roof systems lowers the roof temperature and clears out moisture. Venting a porch something like you describe is not called for by code if I understand your post. Would it help the roofing last longer? A roof shingle manufacturer may know. Low on my list. For low slope roofs here in NY, I like to completely cover my sheathing with ice and water shield or use 30 pound tar paper half lapped instead of a 2" lap. Comes down to budget and type of roof/building/shed or whatever.

Hope this helps. Basically the answer is no, but venting it if you want to is OK.

5. wjrobinson | | #5

Beautiful project Sam. Now that I see your roof... I would say hopefully the underside of it is not vented but is permeable so that there is no trapped moisture inside the structure that is not able to dry.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |