GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

About tankless water heaters

Richardbelk | Posted in General Questions on

I have a hair salon. Will a tankless heater work for me?
Or do you know of it being used for a hair salon?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. jinmtvt | | #1

What is your location or climate zone ?

You will need to estimate both your "instant" water volume and your total yearly volume.

What is the current setup ?

2. user-659915 | | #2

Q. I have a hair salon will a tankless heater work for me
    A. Yes.

3. jinmtvt | | #3

JAmes: one has to estimate the total cost ( installation, will it require suppl electrical ? )

If you have only 1-2 washing station, probably easy to do with limiting head outputs,
    but if you have 10 washing stations, will require a pretty beefy unit, or multiple units,
    and then the installed cost might not be worth it.

Then if in a heating climate, a tank water heater doesn't have the same "idle " costs as in a cooling climate.

4. davidmeiland | | #4

Richard, why do you want a tankless? Do you not have room for a tank? Does the hot water go unused for long periods of time? Do you have to fill a large tub?

You do need to determine how much hot water you need at one time. If you have one or two sinks, an electric tankless could provide enough hot water. Look at the output ratings on the units and you can see how much hot water they produce. If you try to get more, the water gets cooler. For larger demand you probably need a gas unit.

Have a plumber come out and help you determine what will work best in your shop.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |