GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Chemical sensitivity – tobacco smoke from neighbors

ralana | Posted in General Questions on

I live in an attached row house (2-family) that is over 100 years old. Recently,, the neighbors on either side of me have rented apartments to smokers. Previously, there was one smoker but, now there are four. It has made our lives unbearable. There is cigarette smoke everywhere. It’s on our linen, on our walls, even on my hands. Having stated that, I figure our only two options are to move from a home we have lived in for thirty years or to try and resolve the issue some other way and stay at home. I have come up with the idea that if we tear down walls and put up insulation that that may solve our problem as per being inundated with cigarette smoke fumes that waft through our walls, etc; Will this solve the issue or will we ultimately need to move? I have started taking allergy medications prescribed by my doctor as I am terribly affected by the concentrated amount of smoke fumes. Please help.
Thank you,
Ana

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Ana,
    Installing insulation is probably a good idea, especially if your walls and ceilings are uninsulated. However, insulation will not solve your problem.

If tobacco smoke is entering your house through the common walls, what you need is air sealing work, not insulation. In addition, your house may benefit from a supply ventilation fan to pressurize your house.

Air sealing work is performed by a home performance contractor. The work usually requires a blower door. The blower door is used to depressurize your home; this depressurization allows the air sealing workers to locate and plug leaks.

Once the air sealing work has been completed, you'll probably want to install a supply ventilation system. A supply fan will keep your house at positive pressure with respect to your neighbors; this will prevent tobacco smoke from entering. It's important that the intake grille for your supply ventilation fan be located somewhere where tobacco smoke is unlikely to be mixed with the outdoor air.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |