GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Could your small channels be used to carry a ceiling fan wire to a wall (masonry ceiling)?

dslautner | Posted in General Questions on

We are moving into a retirement complex with concrete between the floors. They charge $300 for putting the fan wiring into some type of channel instead of merely hanging the wire and chain across which is free.. Was wondering if I could use your small channels to put across the ceiling and down the wall to an outlet myself. Could the channels be glued onto the ceiling and wall?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

David,
    There are two issues here: the requirements of the electrical code and the requirements of your landlord or tenant association. Most electrical codes require electrical boxes, electrical receptacles, and hard-wired fixtures to be installed by an electrician.

When it comes to the rules of your retirement complex, those of us who give advice on this forum are powerless to change the rules.

If you can find a fan that doesn't need to be hard-wired, but is merely plugged into an outlet, you have a better chance of succeeding with your argument to the landlord. I imagine that a tall fan that stands on the floor is more likely to be acceptable than a ceiling fan.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |