GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Is it necessary to use a rainscreen when installing fiber cement siding over Zip wall sheathing?

sheacon | Posted in General Questions on

I am trying to keep the budget down on the siding install on my own home

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Richard,
    As far as I know, neither the building code nor the manufacturer of Zip Sheathing requires a rainscreen gap between fiber-cement siding and Zip System sheathing.

Unless you live in a very dry climate, however, I strongly recommend that you install your siding over a rainscreen gap. To learn more, see All About Rainscreens.

2. nkurz | | #2

The manufacturer says it's acceptable if you are using "Fiber Cement Vertical, Plank, or Lapped Siding":

http://www.huberwood.com/assets/user/library/Acceptable_Roof_and_Wall_Coverings_v4.pdf

As to whether or not it's a good idea, I'll leave that to those more knowledgable.

3. mackstann | | #3

A rainscreen housewrap (like Tyvek Drainwrap) might be a good compromise. If you're already going to install housewrap anyway, it won't require any extra labor.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |