GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating outside of block home?

zenith7 | Posted in General Questions on

I am building a earth-sheltered passive block home. I want to insulate it all from the outside. I have been trying to get Roxul Drainboard in 3.5 inches but cannot afford a whole truckload to do a small home. So I’m thinking of using 4 inches of XPS foam under slab and all walls.

Any suggestions for water proofing exterior of block and fastening XPS to all the walls?

Thank you.
Michael

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Michael,
    For waterproofing, you will probably be using a dimple-mat system like Delta-MS or CertainTeed Platon.

Once you have chosen a manufacturer, you need to follow the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Below-grade exterior foam is usually held in place by the backfill material. Above-grade foam can be attached with large washers (roofing caps) and TapCon screws.

For more information, see How to Insulate a Basement Wall.

2. zenith7 | | #2

thank you for your advice on waterproffing below grade block wall . My question would be. Coat block with fiberous material then membrane,then foamboard? I know the importance of drying from interior to exterior so is this in right order? michael

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Michael,
    A concrete wall doesn't have to dry. It can be damp forever.

Concerning the order of the different layers, you should contact the company that manufactures the waterproofing system that you will be installing. Tell them that you want to include exterior rigid foam, and ask them how these products should be installed.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |