GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Pipe leak in basement

aps171 | Posted in General Questions on

I am finishing my basement. So far i have installed on the floor a layer of plastic, 1″ of XPS insulation taped at the seams, and then a floating subfloor. Yesterday one of my pipes sprung a pinhole leak. The water ran down the wall and got stuck between the plastic and the foam. It ran to the other corner of the basement where my sump pump is located. I can lift up a little bit of the subfloor and insulation in one corner to dry it out but most of it is impossible to move without tearing it out. I was wondering if it would be a big mistake to just dry it out the best I could or if I should rip it up to get it all dry to prevent mold from being a problem in the future. Thanks for any advice.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Andrew,
    Rip it up so that everything can dry out.

2. wjrobinson | | #2

Take it apart. Put it all back without the plastic.

3. mfredericks | | #3

AJ, why do you suggest omitting the plastic?

4. wjrobinson | | #4

Mark, the taped foam is enough barrier.

No plastic layer and less trapping of a water leak, less ripping up of work in the future. Trapping water above the plastic in the foam layer is not good.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |