GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Polymer Siding

user-2041994 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

We’re planning a 1200 sf addition on to a small brick ranch in zone 5. The plan is for 2 x 6 on 24″ centers with dense pack cellulose insulation followed by zip system sheathing then 2″ of rigid foam, probably polyiso. We want to side it with Certainteed’s polymer siding in the double seven rough shake style. I’ve read Scott Gibson’s post and other commentary regarding the attachment of vinyl siding and I’ve spoken with Certainteed. Normally I would think that furring strips would work but this particular style is odd that it comes 57″ long and obviously not going to work on a normal layout. I’m thinking the solution to this to add a layer of sheathing over the foam and then a WRB but I’d appreciate any thoughts or feedback. By the way, Certainteed won’t honor any warranty for this product being installed directly over foam thicker than 1″.

Thanks ahead of time,
Skip Ward

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

You could switch to a 2X4 wall, which would only require R-5 to be moisture safe in your climate zone. I'm not sure if you would have to reduce the spacing between studs, however. If that approach isn't appealing, I imagine you could use ZIP-R.

See this article for more detail. https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/calculating-minimum-thickness-rigid-foam-sheathing

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Skip,
    Steve's two suggestions make sense. Or you could just choose a different siding.

-- Martin Holladay

3. Jon_R | | #3

If you are going to have a continuous layer of cold wood sheathing (preferably plywood) to support the siding, then you might as well consider putting foam (edge strips or continuous) on the inside.

4. user-2041994 | | #4

Gentlemen,
    Thanks for your responses. Steve, at the risk of coming across uninformed, I assume your suggestions are for cost and material saving right? I mean if I proceed the way I proposed it won't be enhancing moisture problems will it?
    Martin, after much deliberation, hand-wringing and grinding of teeth, the Czarina decided on this siding and I don't know if there's any turning back that wouldn't involve a lawyer.
    Jon R, yes, the thought was to use plywood over the foam but again being naive I'm not sure what you mean by edge strips

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |