GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Can I eliminate the water-resistive barrier and vapor barrier?

Jim Dorval | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am building a new float home in an area with high humidity and wind driven rain conditions. (Vancouver, BC)
I plan to use the following exterior rain screen wall construction method.
Hardie horizontal plank, with Hardie furring 3/4″ thick, over 1″ Styrofoam Weathermate taped, on braced 2X6″ frame construction. Stud space insulation will be high density closed cell, spray in place foam 3-4″ thick. Interior mold reistant 1/2″ drywall.
My question is, will this construction suffice to provide the indoor vapor barrier, the exterior water-resistive barrier and the air barrier without application of further building wraps and poly?
I plan to manage the indoor environment with an HRV unit.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jim,
    1. Of course, you'll need to verify any proposed building details with your local inspector to be sure your plans meet Canadian code requirements. I know that coastal British Columbia has specific rainscreen requirements, but I am not familiar with all the details.

2. There is no need from a building science perspective (as opposed to a code perspective) for an interior vapor retarder when the stud cavities are filled with closed-cell spray foam. Closed-cell foam is a vapor retarder.

3. Some building science consultants recommend flashing details that allow the use of exterior foam sheathing as as WRB. Not all builders or inspectors agree with this method, however. Read more here:
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/green-building-techniques/12284/do-i-need-house-wrap-under-exterior-wall-rigid-foam

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |