GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Capillary break necessity

GBA Editor | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am building a new home on a sloped lot with good soils (for drainage) in Vermont. My footings have just been poured and they are sitting on four inches of drainage stone. Do I need to add an additional capillary break on top of the footings? (ie drylock) I know that building science recommends it but I am getting some resistance from my concrete and excavation subs. They feel the drainage stone is plenty for my site. Thank you

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Graham,
    There are a few things in construction that are virtually impossible to retrofit. These include a change in ceiling height and a capillary break between the footing and the foundation wall.

Is it "necessary"? Perhaps not.

Is it wise? Absolutely.

It doesn't cost much, and you'll never be able to fix it in the future. So do it. If your concrete contractor doesn't want to do it, do it yourself.

For more information on capillary breaks between the footing and the foundation wall, see:
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/gba-pro-help/13805/what-capillary-break-between-footing-and-foundation-wall

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |