GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

High Efficiency Framing: Where can an engineer go for calculations?

t5hAywDQum | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am beginning a LEED targeted project and have an rater on board. I also have an engineer who I am using, but this framing is not something he has done before. Is there a resource with standard calculations for load and sheer that I could point him towards?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. ZeoPmmFYpd | | #1

try the IBC/IRC ... hopefully, he/she is familiar with them.

2. SLSTech | | #2

You might try pulling a search on OVE - but the specs generally come from the APA / wood manufacturer / distributer (based on type of wood) & Simpson (or whomever your metal hanger supplier is). Assuming you go forward, you have a top notch framing crew with some common sense or you are going to have some major issues. I would also recommend using a product like Tall Wall or WindStorm to sheathe everything

3. Aaron Dent | | #3

http://www.bcbuildinginfo.com/ezines/ezine_issue3.shtml
    Check out this website - it has some useful information. The guide that GVRD produced that is mentioned on here is very good - try the email or phone number listed to get a copy for your engineer.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |