GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Attic Ventilation

kennebecwoodworks | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I’m planing the ventilation for my attic. I’m going to have loose fill cellulose to an R-60 and a friend of mine was mentioning that I don’t need to vent the soffits if I have gable vents and ridge vent because the house will be air tight. He was also mentioning over ventilating and possibly doing something with the pressure of the house. Anyway I had planed on using soffit vents as it seemed to be the fail safe way for venting. The house will have an HRV system also.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Mark,
    Building codes require that vented attics have both soffit vents and ridge vents. Most experts advice against gable vents, so you can close those up.

Attic ventilation has nothing to do with HRVs, by the way. Mechanical ventilation for the conditioned space below is an entirely separate topic.

2. BobHr | | #3

Please be sure that baffles are added between all the rafters and not every third set as I commonly see.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |