GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Replacing insulation in basement

Tube | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Hello, I have a 3 year old basment with 8ft concrete walls that was finished with 2 by 4’s that are about 1/2 inch off the concrete wall and fiberglass batting was used as insulation which I don’t believe is the correct material. If i want to replace this should i go back to the studs and perhaps do a spray insulation or is it best to take everything out and start afresh. At this point i do not have any mold/smell issues but also think it could just be better insulated. I am in zone 5/6, right on the edge. Thank you.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

J.D.,
    If you go ahead with your project -- not everyone would, by the way, in light of the fact that you have no problems yet -- I think you should remove the fiberglass batts and throw them away.

If you decide to keep the existing 2x4s, the best insulation to use would be closed-cell spray foam. The installer should conscientiously strive to fill the 1/2-inch gaps between the concrete wall and the 2x4s with spray foam.

If you decide that you don't want to use spray foam, you should remove the studs and install rigid foam on the interior side of the basement wall.

For more information, see How to Insulate a Basement Wall.

2. Tube | | #2

Hello, thanks for the reply, That is what i was thinking. Right now i am keeping my eye on it. Yes it is completly finished so i was n't to keen to rip it all out. About 4 to 5 ft of the 8 ft basement is under ground. At some point i was also thinking of sound proofing the ceiling and also using those metal channels that keep the drywall of the joists so it could be a job done all together! At some point i might cut a small hole in the drywall (5/8 thick) and see if i can feel anything. My guess is the bottom of the wall is more likly to be wet. I have an engineered wood floor (not stuck, sitting on thin foam) and i see no evidence of water damage at the edges of that.

Thank you,

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |