GU24 base CFL?

I have just had a home built that is an energy efficient home. All the light fixtures are designed to take gu24 CFL's. After three days the first CFL blew the second within a week the third just blew and we have not been in the home a month. I had a electrician check the voltage and earth to the CFL ha says there is no problem with the wiring.

What is the buzz with these CFL's they may be energy efficient but if there life span is so short they will prove to be financially prohibative..Looking online I see that adaptors to the Edison screw base is advertised everywhereis this because the gu24 base is problimatic?

Please advise what I should do, thank you, Alan Perry

Asked by Rev.Alan Perry
Posted Nov 2, 2012 7:58 PM ET
Edited Nov 3, 2012 7:43 AM ET

Alan, here is an earlier piece, somewhat related: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/green-communities/let-the...

My advice is to buy Energy Star-labeled bulbs. All indications are that they tend to be better quality and last longer.

Posted Nov 2, 2012 9:09 PM ET

You'll probably find that many GBA readers prefer Edison-base bulbs. I do.

That said, I think that if you experiment with different brands, you will eventually find GU24 bulbs that work for you.

Posted Nov 3, 2012 6:25 AM ET

When my CFLs fail early, I return them to the vendor. I have never had a vendor refuse to replace one (at no cost). When I purchase a bulb (and most things), I write the date on it, using an indelible marker. When it fails, I have an indication of the age, and can do an off-the-cuff calculation of the number of hours of use, based on location. Vendors have not demanded sales receipts. I buy from good vendors.

Answered by Derek Roff
Posted Nov 9, 2012 11:02 AM ET

Atypical cathedral insulation

In General questions | Asked by Matt | Nov 25, 15

Can anyone recommend a high quality direct vent natural gas heater?

In General questions | Asked by Grace | Nov 25, 15

Humidity control other than plug in De/humidifier

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Terry Sharpe | Nov 27, 15

Previous code for unvented cathederal ceiling insulation

In Building Code Questions | Asked by Steve Gabrielidi | Nov 25, 15

Split system location

In Mechanicals | Asked by A Lange | Nov 24, 15