GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

SuperWindows

davosil | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Hi – I am battling serious solar heat on the west-facing wall of my FL home that is 90% windows.
Experts: what is the most efficient window technology I can get?
– Does anyone have much experience with thermochromic/electrochromic?
– How about Suspended film (SF)?
– Can you steer me to installers in the Tampa/Clearwater area?

Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

David,
    How old are your windows? Do you have any idea what the solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) of the glazing is?

For a new house, this problem is best solved by:
    (a) If possible, shading the windows with a porch roof.
    (b) Minimizing the size of the windows.
    (c) Choosing windows with a very low SHGC.

For more information on glazing choices and SHGC, see All About Glazing Options.

If you have older windows, or windows with a high SHGC, you might consider replacing your windows with low-SHGC windows. Another option is window film; for more information on window films, see Solar-Control Window Film.

Low-cost solutions include the use of awnings and window shades. For more information on these options, see Window Shades, Blinds, and Awnings.

2. user941025 | | #2

As a non-expert, I'd like to stick up for plants:

Trellis.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |