GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Manual J load done — trying to determine kWh for ductless heat pump

Richard_ | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Here are my numbers for 700 square foot guest home, zone 4b
Heat Load 9,725 btus/hour
Cooling Load 7,503 btus/hour

I know there are several variables but the unit I am looking at is a Ceiling cassette rated at 20.2 seer 12k btu unit

My question is there anything that has been published that could give me a good estimate of what my kWh could be.

Or some numbers at different temperature conditions

Thanks
Richard

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Richard,
    Q. "Is there anything that has been published that could give me a good estimate of what my kWh could be"?

A. It sounds like you want to know your annual heating energy bill and your annual cooling energy bill. To determine those numbers, you need to use an energy modeling program like REM/Rate. (Lots of variables enter into these calculations.)

If you want to know the power draw of the equipment, here's a back-of-the-envelope calculation:

If your design heating load on the coldest day of the year is 9,725 BTU/h, that is equivalent to 2.85 kW of heat.

To provide 2.85 kW of heat at a COP of 2.0 (a typical COP on a cold day) would require 1.4 kWh of electricity for every hour that you operate the equipment. (In other words, the equipment would draw 1,425 watts.)

2. Richard_ | | #2

Thanks Martin
    That helps
    I did find one source by energy star that could help as a guideline also
    https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=most_efficient.me_cac_ashp

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |