GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Ridge vent question

jpcjguy | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Hi Everyone,

I posted a while ago about insulating my 3rd floor attic room and will probably do the entire rafters and insulate the whole space rather than the “room”. I will need to replace the roof – it is original 1993 before I do anything. I looked at spray foam but considering the cost and inability for it to give me my required R38 I will probably do soffit to ridge venting with Roxul R23 in the 2×8 rafters and then do R15 in a 2×4 running perpendicular to the rafters. I currently have gable vents and will have to fill them.
So I have been looking at some neighbor houses and it “appears” they have ridge vents, but the vent looks like it stops 2 ft short of the roof edges. How does that work for the last 1-2 “bays”? Maybe it is ridge without insulation instead of gable vents? Therefore the air is free-flowing in the attic space?

If I ask the roofers to put in a ridge vent, I assume I have to make sure it goes end to end on my peaks since I will be doing baffles correct?

Thanks
Joe

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. jpcjguy | | #1

Oh - is there a ridge vent design that is better than others? Any to stay away from?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |