GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Question from an editor

Daniel Morrison | Posted in General Questions on

We’re in the process of tuning up GBA. We’re improving how the strategies work and how you can use them. We’d like to add a check box next to a strategy so that you can save individual strategies to My GBA as a custom checklist of green items.

My question has to do with naming. ‘Strategy Generator’ rattles just about every editorial bone in my body. I prefer to use job site language when I can (just ask all the folks around me in the office — it sure ain’t corporate language – do you think that’s why they moved me into an office?). Anyway, on a job site when you have a list of tasks, you call it a punch list, right?

Nobody calls it a checklist or a to do list.

Punch-out work has always been the last few things that you do in order to get paid, but is punch list restricted to the final stuff or can it be used as a general list?

Dan

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. MICHAEL CHANDLER | | #1

I like the idea of trying to personalize it some how by adding the user name to the button. In my office this is the CDB Cookbook but JLC calls it a field guide and I think either works better than stratergy jineratur or best practices or policys and proceedures manual. It's not a punch list either though. It's a how we do it rather that a to do.

I've always wished that the JLC field guides were available in a digital format so I could edit them to reflect the way I actually prefer to see things done on my job sites. However you do it I'd like to be able to edit it to reflect the way we do things around these parts.

2. user-669103 | | #2

You need to bare in mind the potentially wide audience.
    Would a regular home owner trying to learn something here know what a "punch list" is?

The difference between what the 'strategy generator' does and a 'punch list' is that a punch list is a list of tasks for a contract / job to be fulfilled before the job is done, but what is in 'strategy generator' is more like a long term 'to do list' that could in the case of a retrofit take a decade to complete.

When applied to new construction maybe 'punch list' is appropriate, when applied to incremental retrofit, 'to do list' is appropriate.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |