Helpful? 0

Waterproofing slab to wood sill?

Good Morning!

I am closing in a four wall external (element exposed) area. The area already had a slab and the back all that was exposed was not in great condition. I demo’d the back wall and rebuilt it (picture attached) and roofed the area (there was no roof prior, just stucco). The slab for the house is 4 inches higher than the slab for the room that I am building. Both are above grade. I am going to stucco the external wall that is in the picture. My question is how do I water proof the outside joint where the slab meet the wood sill as a precaution? I was think to use a liquid rubber membrane and then cover that with a window flashing. The than the stucco would go over both. We are expecting an addition so the family and this area will be the nursery off our bedroom. I just want to make sure I do not run in to additional issues in the future. Thanks for any help/suggestions provided.

IMG_4803.JPG306.4 KB
Asked by Florida Homeowner
Posted Thu, 02/27/2014 - 12:11
Edited Thu, 02/27/2014 - 13:32

Tags:

2 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

F.H.,
Your detail will look something like the detail shown below. You need to seal the crack between your mudsill (bottom plate) and the concrete with foam sill-seal. This also provides a capillary break. You can improve the airtightness of this crack by installing a bead of silicone caulk on one or both sides of the crack.

Stucco detail.jpg
Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Thu, 02/27/2014 - 13:30

Helpful? 0

Here is another weep screed detail. I think that the bottom of the weep screed should ideally be 6 or 8 inches above grade, but that isn't always possible.

Stucco detail 2.jpg
Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Thu, 02/27/2014 - 13:34

Other Questions in General questions

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Matthew Michaud | Aug 20, 14
In Mechanicals | Asked by Chris Marriner | Aug 18, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Anthony Hughes | Aug 20, 14
In Plans Review | Asked by Ryan Lazuka | Aug 18, 14
In Green products and materials | Asked by Eric Burhop | Aug 20, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!